Ardent Craft Ales is searching for a Brewery Sales Representative to cover the Richmond and Northern Virginia markets. With company growth, the representative will eventually be expected to cover the entire state of Virginia.
This position is full-time. Benefits include paid time off, paid holidays, travel and training expenses, and car and telephone allowances.
Position Responsibilities and Duties
- Develop and maintain expert knowledge and understanding of product portfolio, product availability, and sale techniques.
- Develop and maintain close relationships with key accounts both on- and off-premise, and determine the appropriate brand(s) for individual accounts.
- Sell beers to and/or upgrade number of beer lines in retail accounts (bars/restaurants, liquor/grocery stores).
- Collaborate with the General Manager to establish target account information, including placement priority and volume projection.
- Track, monitor, and report progress in all identified accounts, and meet or exceed established sales benchmarks.
- Work with local distributors to increase brand awareness and consumption.
- Conduct wait-staff and bartender educational programs.
- Organize, plan, and staff promotional and special events, including beer tastings and beer dinners.
- Distribute point-of-sales materials for allocation and use, as well as ensure proper merchandizing in both on- and off-premise accounts.
- Ensure that the brewery's quality standards are clearly understood and enforced by distributors and retailers.
- Review and understand all legal restrictions regarding brewery product in each market and ensure all initiatives are executed within those limitations.
- Collect data (e.g., pricing, distribution) as required.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Certified Beer Server and Certified Cicerone status. The candidate will possess, or procure within 30 days of employment, a passing grade on the Certified Beer Server test located at Cicerone.org. In addition, the candidate will possess or procure, within an agreed-upon timeline, a Certified Cicerone certificate.
- One to two years of experience in the alcoholic beverage industry. The ideal candidate will have held a position with a wine or beer distributor for at least one year.
- Strong interest in and knowledge of craft beer. The candidate must possess considerable interest in the craft beer industry in general and Ardent Craft Ales in particular. The candidate must have the ability to understand both the history and trajectory of the industry and the company. In addition, the candidate must possess a genuine love of craft beer, and an excellent understanding of beer styles and brewing processes.
- Strong self-motivational skills and work ethic. The candidate must be able to work independently, and have demonstrated the ability to plan and manage multiple responsibilities.
- Strong persuasive-selling and relationship-building skills. The candidate must be committed to selling our product and promoting our brand through the development and maintenance of close relationships with both our wholesale and retail accounts.
- Engaging and easy-going yet confident and assertive personality. The candidate must possess the personal skills necessary to foster friendly and trustworthy relationships with wholesale and retail staff members as well as the general public.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. The candidate must have the ability to speak in front of both large and small groups, as well as the acumen to conduct training sessions and promotional events.
- Strong organizational and reporting skills. The candidate must be highly organized with regard to record-keeping skills, and be proficient in Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Word, and Power Point.
- Flexibility with regard to schedule. As the job requires both weekend work and extended workdays, the candidate must have the ability and desire to maintain a flexible work schedule. In addition, candidate must be willing and able to assist with out-of-market promotions, events, and festivals.
- Possession of vehicle. The candidate must have a reliable vehicle and a clean driving record.
- The nature of the position requires one to frequently reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl, as well as to ascend and descend staircases repeatedly throughout the day. The Brewery Sales Representative will do a significant amount of walking, and will often work on wet and/or slippery surfaces. The Brewery Sales Representative will be expected to handle objects weighing up to 170 pounds occasionally and/or objects weighing up to 55 pounds frequently. As the Brewery Sales Representative will be required to drive to accounts in the Richmond metro area, the candidate must be willing to drive in varying weather conditions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
How to Apply
Interested parties should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.